Wednesday, June 20, 2012

Warrior Dash

I look back at this past weekend and am amazed and proud of myself for completing the challenge of the Warrior Dash. Runnerbud Jen wasn't fond of the idea of mud in her sneakers so she declined the invitation to register months ago. My wonderful hubby took the challenge and decided to give it a go. Now he is athletic, looks like a runner when he runs, but isn't a fan of running. Cycling is more his thing. I think it was the idea of the obstacles (and hanging with me!) that convinced him to go.


I highly suggest going with a group, it makes for some serious fun. We camped out, well my version of camping, took the RV and had full-hookup! The two other couples that decided to run with us camped next door to us and we had a whole lot of fun hanging out the night before. Us girls decided that we would go with the Super-heroine focus and dressed as Wonder Woman, Bat Woman and Super Woman. The flaming socks topped off the outfit! Once we got to the venue (Pocono Raceway) my dear hubby realized that we were SO not the crazy dressed chicks of the Dash. There was a whole variety of characters who ran - including the Pope! (I saw the Ghost Busters too complete with Ghost Busting packs on their backs!)
Kim created these awesome tanks for us - and check out our spectacular socks!
The whole atmosphere was fun, from the flames shooting into the air at the starting gun to the "helmets up" pose you had to do for pictures and after obstacles. The whole race was 3.3 miles for us and there were 13 obstacles throughout. The terrain was not great, lots of rocks and ruts. (Unfortunately Dash Buddy Matt found that out the hard way and got a one way ticket to the ER for a bum ankle! Of course that was AFTER he finished the race!) I heard through the grapevine that last year's PA venue was better in Skirmish, PA but I have nothing to compare it to.  My personal faves were the fire jumping and the mud pit. Not a fan of heights & the walls we had to scale were a little daunting, but I am pleased to say I conquered all 4 of them without crying - or breaking any bones! But there just isn't anything to compare to the after race mud that is coated in places you forgot about!
Muscle kissing was optional in this pic!

As you can see, not much avoided the mud! Check out Eric's forehead!
In the end the motto MUD, SWEAT and BEER pretty much lived up to it's calling and we also had some fun with the local bands playing some of our faves. Go figure they even did a ZUMBA grouping which Dash Buddy Kim was a little bit psyched about! The Warrior Horns, medals and Steins were an added bonus and we all slept pretty well that night! Despite a few bruised knees, quad muscles and one ankle we all survived to tell about it. And what's a race without an adventure? Will we do it again next year...I am gonna go with a "Hell Yea!" and I suggest to anyone looking for a good time- with a little mud, this is the race for you.

If you run, you are a runner! Run on friends!
~Rachel

No comments:

Post a Comment