Monday, December 30, 2013

Heading into 2014

WOW! My blogging took a hit and my resolution for the new year is to get back on track!
2013 was a year of ups and downs for me and I'm looking forward to a healthy, happy New Year in 2 days...

What I've learned in 2013...
1. Injuries aren't the end of the world. And they heal. Hard one to swallow, but I made it through. It's been a bit over a year since I broke my foot. It sidelined me. It showed me my family really does realize what I do on a daily basis. It brought new friends into my life and it showed me who always has my back.

2. Anything is possible if you set your mind to it. Goals are good and training needs to happen. Case in point...I went into a full marathon training schedule 6 weeks behind schedule. It happened, I succeeded...I finished and boy am I proud of myself. My DH set a goal to ride his bike from York to NJ and he did it and helped Make A Wish in the process. It also doesn't hurt to have a good support system as well.

3. Volunteering is great for the soul! I coached a Girls on the Run team this fall. Running is my passion, teaching is my profession so I put it all together and boy was it great! I can only hope that those 20 girls learned as much from me as I learned from them!

4. Always, always thank the volunteers on the course! Without them and the race directors...things just wouldn't happen. Enough said. (A goal of mine in 2014 is to be one of them...a tough job...but someone has to do it!)

5. LOVE! Note: I should have put this at #1! Love your family, love your friends and make sure they know it. Kiss them, hug them and support their decisions.  We want it, they want it and you just never know how much time you have with them so make the most of it. As one of my "always got your back" friends says...LIVE LOVE LAUGH! And she does everyday.

6. We hear it all the time...Don't Sweat the Small Stuff...I know I know its easier said than done, but at the end of the day will it really make a difference? Will it make me a better person? I need to ask myself that more frequently.

So friends, we are heading out of 2013...another year is gone and its been up and down for everyone. You never know what someone else is going through or has gone through to get where they are. We all have our journeys. I am looking forward to a lot of great things ahead and I hope to continue my running journey, eating clean and gluten free so I can be the best wife, mom, sister, daughter, friend and teacher possible. And I am hoping you hold me accountable.

Happy New Year!
Love, Rachel

No comments:

Post a Comment