Monday, May 14, 2012

FOOD Glorious FOOD!


Food, Glorious food…I can hear the music now…
My thoughts for today have come from hearing people talk about skipping meals or not having time to eat. No time to eat? Really? If there is time to check email and get on Facebook – you got time to eat.

I do, I really do!


 
I’m a self-proclaimed foodie. I love to eat. I can’t remember the last meal I actually skipped. I’ll often say at lunchtime, to my Teacherbud, Jeanine, I’m so hungry I could eat a small child!
My family knows that dinner time takes place every night at the dining room table and chances are you will have a balanced meal on the plate complete with a vegetable (of which you WILL be required to take at least 3 bites).
Not saying I don’t enjoy a good pizza, just not eating Fast Food every night at this house!
 
Those who believe that skipping meals is healthy or helps to jumpstart a good eating plan you are wrong…very wrong.
Research shows that folks that skip breakfast are more likely to binge later in the day. By eating breakfast you are kickstarting your metabolism for the day. If you don’t fuel you can go into starvation mode. Check out this link about that first meal of the day!
I'm a huge fan of cereal and fruit...YUMMY!


But let’s do lunch…
This is the meal so many people can’t find time for. As athletes we all need to fuel our bodies. Especially if you take a late afternoon run or workout later in the day, it is crucial to eat a good lunch. (For early morning runners or gym rats who hit the gym early, we need to fuel up because our metabolism is cranking and burning up the calories! Definitely a plus for my pre-dawn runs!)

If you are one of those “I’m too busy for lunch…” folks think about my top 4 favorite lunch rules.

Lunch Rule #1
Eat Your Fiber
Active ladies you need 25 grams of fiber a day!
It keeps you full longer…helps with regularity (won’t go any further with that as we wouldn’t want to share TMI)…

Lunch Rule #2
40-30-30 eating…(I don’t like to say diet…)
40% Protein 30% Carbs and 30%Fat
Originally this came from the Zone Plan I believe, but following this plan you stabilize your insulin & blood sugar levels and increase satiety. SO YOU ARENT CONSTANTLY HUNGRY! Milk actually is very close to being a 40-30-30 ratio on its own, but generally I try to go with a combo of foods to get this ratio.
A cottage cheese fruit salad is a good combo…for example:
3/4 c cottage cheese, 2% lowfat
1/3 c strawberries, sliced
1 apple, medium, sliced
1/3 c grapes, green or red
2 1/4 tbsp nuts (almonds, pecans, or walnuts)

Lunch Rule #3
Portion Control
Learned this first hand…don’t eat out of the bag, box or carton (ice cream!) You will eat way more than a serving.
Bag your food choices so you are controlling what you eat. Mindless eating can sabotage even the best intentions! I try to actually count out crackers, pretzels or chips when I pack my lunch according to the package.
Lunch Rule #4
Take a break!
Work is stressful and tiring. Hello teachers, I don't need to say this twice to you! We need to rejuvenate our bodies and minds so that we can do our jobs well! Eating away from your desk with co-workers or friends helps us relax and de-stress. Just a few minutes of chilling out can help us find our focus and energy for the rest of the day!
(Speaking from an educator’s point of view, I find this very important each day. The students need a break from me and I need a break from them!)

As always, I’m not a nutritionist or expert, I just like to share my thoughts. We have one body and it’s our job to care for it the best we can.  Sometimes I think it’s a shame that I didn’t learn this until my late 30’s…I eat breakfast and lunch because I’m hungry and I know I need the fuel. Don’t deprive yourself of anything, just eat smart!

If you run, you are a runner!
~Rachel

Do you have any good breakfast, lunch or snack options? Please share!

No comments:

Post a Comment