Wednesday, May 2, 2012

To run or not to run...


I don’t know about you, but I hate being sick. I’ve got too much to do and don’t have time to lie around and nurse myself back to health. It also messes with my running schedule, which in turn messes with Runnerbud Jen’s running. (Since we run predawn having a buddy is a MUST!)

Last weekend I started that sore throat thing that eventually turns into a cold. Well as luck would have it (not) I also got the draining and cough with it by Monday. Luckily Tuesday is rest day for us, but by Wednesday there was not a chance in the world that I could drag my body out for a run. Just breathing in hurt and caused me to choke up a lung. Of course after taking some meds, drinking tea with honey and a hot steamy shower; I did begin to feel like a human again. That’s when the guilt set in. Maybe I could’ve run…

SO what do the experts say on this?
Using the “neck” rule, doctors say if your symptoms are below the neck (chest cold, bronchial infection, body aches) it is time to take a break. If your symptoms are above the neck (stuffy nose, sneezing, runny nose) it is okay to keep going.
That made me feel a little better for backing out this morning since I was really coughing up a storm.

There is also research out there that says good ol’ chicken soup has anti-inflammatory effects can ease the symptoms of upper respiratory infections. Not only does the chicken broth ease sore throats, the carrots have beta-carotene (immunity),  & garlic and onions  (anti bacterial properties).
Thinking I need some of this for lunch tomorrow!
I believe I am on the mend at the time of this posting so I will hopefully be back out there pounding the pavement in the morning with Jen.

How about you?
Do you rest when you are sick or do you muddle through?
Have you ever run while sick and made it worse?

To read more on this topic:

If you run, you are a runner!
~Rachel

1 comment:

  1. Like you, I started to feel guilty when I miss the gym, but have pushed myself through and did a workout and felt worse. I also use the "neck" rule..tooo funny! I think, when you get ill enough to say NO to a workout/running, you really need to listen to your body, and give it a break. Good for you listening!!! Drink up that tea and eat that soup!!! Take your C's as well... happy healing! xo

    ReplyDelete