Monday, April 23, 2012

Great Grains! It's Quinoa!


One of my sole sisters, Amy, got me on the quinoa bandwagon not too long ago. She was looking for  gluten free grains and this fit the bill.
Quinoa is a versatile grain – it’s great for runners and athletes and can fuel a workout. (Yes, like Zumba!) Also because it is a whole grain, it takes the place of those refined carbs we tend to eat. Therefore, weight loss can be side benefit. Quinoa is actually a seed that has a fluffy, creamy, slightly crunchy texture and a somewhat nutty flavor when cooked.

A quick health lesson about quinoa...Not only is quinoa high in protein, but the protein it supplies is complete protein, meaning that it includes all nine essential amino acids. Not only is quinoa's amino acid profile well balanced, making it a good choice for vegans concerned about adequate protein intake, but quinoa is especially well-endowed with the amino acid lysine, which is essential for tissue growth and repair. In addition to protein, quinoa features a host of other health-building nutrients. Because quinoa is a very good source of manganese as well as a good source of magnesium, folate, and phosphorus, this "grain" may be especially valuable for persons with migraine headaches & diabetes. (info. from whfoods.com)

I started serving it for dinner and my kids thought it was Couscous until they tasted it. (Ryder says he is not a Quinoa kind of kid….Eric and Garrett eat it because I serve it and in our house it's basically eat what I make or starve!) It really is quick and easy to make as a side dish although you can eat it as your main source of protein as well. Check out some of the recipe links at the bottom if you are interested.

Now by no means am I replacing my pasta or potatoes with quinoa, but it is a good alternative.  My running buds, Jen & Amy, know I love to carb load with french fries before a race! (And after if you count dinner after the Shamrock race in VA Beach!) But I digress, it is an alternative to spice up the dinner table. 
Check it out, when cooked it looks like couscous!

Check out these recipes if you want to try quinoa...although for the "kitchen challenged" there are prepackaged flavored bags of quinoa at local grocery stores that cook in about 14 minutes - only water is needed!


Let me know what you think positives or negatives about quinoa!

If you run, you are a runner...
~Rachel

1 comment:

  1. I'm the "Amy" Rachel refers to... Too funny to have made it to her blog! Thanks, girl! As for quinoa, I LOVE it! I even got some work colleagues eating it. If you're looking for some recipes, check out "cleaneating" magazines (also online). A quick go-to quinoa recipe for me is to make it just like someone would pasta salad. Italian dressing (I use a vinagrette), chopped veggies like tomatoes, green and red peppers,cucumber,and some feta. Serve chilled. Yummy... and so healthy!

    ReplyDelete